With the current state of our world, the possibility of needing to defend yourself is growing. This week there was a road rage incident down the street from our house. Two people were shot. This morning, we learned of a massacre in Las Vegas.
Here’s an article from the Washington Times on eleven times a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun.
Since most of my 7 followers (Hey, Guys!) are women, I thought I would highlight that women are statistically better marksmen than men, and maybe we shouldn’t shy away from firearms.
One way to start is to find a gun safety class in your area. Before you learn how to shoot, you must be an expert in handling and safety. This is the most important step in learning how to defend yourself.
- Always treat the gun as loaded.
- Always keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.
- Always keep your finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to shoot.
- Always keep the gun unloaded until you are ready to use it.
- Never point the gun at anything you don’t intend to destroy.
- Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.
- Learn the mechanical and handling characteristics of the gun you are using.
- Always use proper Ammunition.
- Be sure the barrel is clear of obstructions before loading and shooting.
- If your gun fails to fire when the trigger is pulled, hold your shooting position for several seconds; then with the muzzle pointed in a safe direction, carefully unload the gun.
- Don’t rely on the gun’s safety to keep it from firing.
- Be aware of your surroundings when handling guns so you don’t trip or lose your balance and accidentally point and/or fire the gun at anyone or anything.
Do you own a firearm? Can you shoot? Tell me your experience, I’d love to hear from you!